John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
In a sunken hollow sandwiched between two streets is St Edmund's Chapel. In fact until the Second World War it was completely invisible, being hemmed in by shops as well. Built in 1253 it was dedicated by St Richard of Chichester. Still in Dover, he died four days later and his internal organs were buried in the chapel, though his body was taken to Chichester. As part of the property of the Maison Dieu (Hostel for Pilgrims to Canterbury) it closed at the Reformation and became part of the secular buildings in the area. After war damage it was restored to become one of the best preserved medieval buildings in the town centre.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: was not in use
Morning Attendance: was not in use
Afternoon Attendance: was not in use
Evening Attendance: was not in use
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Anthony Swaine
Second Restoration: -
Now RC, used weekly
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.