John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: 1915 postcard
The large medieval parish of Aylesford, spanning both the North Downs and River Medway was not densely populated until industrialisation of the valley in the 19th century. Prime employer then was the Cement Industry and the landscape is still scarred with deep chalk quarries. The small hamlet of Eccles mushroomed to supply homes for workers and it was decided to provide a daughter church for the area, to be served by the curate of Aylesford. It was built in the 1880s to a simple design by a local builder and mostly paid for by public subscription and donations from the Brassey family, Aylesford`s greatest benefactors. It was in many ways the archetypal daughter church, built in a simplified gothic form of polychromatic brickwork. Unfortunately its story was to be a short one and when the church was just ninety years old it was demolished and services moved to the Methodist Chapel.
1851 Census Details
Original Build Date/Architect: Demolished 1970s
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.