St James's Church, Elmsted  Church

Image Source: John Vigar

 

An extremely worthwhile church in remote countryside. The tower is an unusual shape, being almost twice as wide as it is deep and capped by a wooden upper storey with stumpy spire. The church consists of nave, aisles, chancel and equal length chapels. The nave is Norman: the original arch to the tower is still recognisable although a fourteenth-century replacement has been built inside it. At the same time the present arcade was built on the existing piers. In the north aisle is a medieval vestry screen, in front of which is a Norman font. There are very fine altar rails, each baluster looking like an eighteenth-century candlestick. Between the main altar and chapel is a simple thirteenth-century sedilia. The south chapel altar has a twelfth-century mensa which was discovered in the churchyard in 1956. The east window (1880) commemorates Arthur Honeywood who was killed in the Afghan war - only a dog survived and was given an award by Queen Victoria! Honeywood's ancestor, Sir John (d. 1781), is also remembered in the church by a splendid marble bust signed by Scheemakers

 

 

Church Data

 

1851 Census Details

 

Seating Capacity: 324

Morning Attendance: 121

Afternoon Attendance: No service

Evening Attendance: No service

 

Architecture Details

 

Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval

Restoration: -

Second Restoration: -

 

Contact Details

 

Queries Relating to this Church

 

To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You