John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
Clinging to a steep incline, Eythorne Church presents its north chapel, north aisle and north tower to the road in a way which does not help the visitor understand the layout of the building - beyond is the tall narrow chancel of the thirteenth century church. The north, or Elmton, chapel was the burial place of successive owners of the now-gone manor of Elmington and it was probably their patronage that gave the fine two seat sedilia in the south wall of the chancel. It dates from the late thirteenth century and has a double piscine as part of the scheme - a drain for the priest to wash his fingers and another for him to wash the silver. The greatest treasure of the building, however, is the rare seventeenth century lead font which stands on a wooden table in the north aisle. Made of a series of lead strips cast from a single mould and then welded together, it is an oddly secular structure. The figure depicted on each panel is female, covering her nakedness with one hand and wielding a club with the other. There are only three other lead fonts in Kent (at Wichling, Brookland and Lower Halstow).
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: No return
Afternoon Attendance: No return
Evening Attendance: No return
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.