John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A two-cell thirteenth-century church to which a three-stage tower was added in the fifteenth century. In the churchyard is the Nash Mausoleum of 1778, built in Portland stone and quite a contrast to the more usual local flint of which the church is constructed. Inside the church all is light and airy with a crownpost roof supported by prominent wall posts. The arch to the tower is Tudor in date and may be slightly later than the tower itself. Under the arch stands the excellent Seven Sacrament font of fifteenth-century date. It represents Confirmation, Penance, Holy Communion, Extreme Unction, Ordination, Marriage and Baptism. Only one other Seven Sacrament font exists outside East Anglia (at Nettlecombe in Somerset). In the 1830s the vicar's son, Charles Winston, was establishing himself as an expert on medieval glass and designed several windows for Farningham. The finest is the small figure of an archbishop behind the pulpit. Winston based it on the figure of Archbishop Simon de Mepham which he saw in Meopham church, and which has since been destroyed.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 380
Morning Attendance: 242
Afternoon Attendance: 163
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: 1868 Christian
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.