John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A two-cell rendered and much-tidied-up church of great charm. At what stage the chancel arch was removed is not known, but now the chancel and nave are divided by a wooden twentieth-century screen. On the north wall of the nave is a thirteenth-century mural of Christ in Majesty - the most impressive for its date in Kent. In the south wall is a Norman piscina and a good fourteenth-century tomb recess. Within the chancel hangs a wall monument to Dorcas and John Watter (d. 1625) of carved alabaster. The two figures face each other across a double prayer desk under their complicated armorial bearings. Beneath is a tightly written inscription recording the fact that John founded a charity to provide overcoats. It is one of the prettiest monuments in Kent of the period. In the nearby window are some fragments of medieval glass - including a selection of de Fawkeham armorial shields - and a nice fourteenth-century piece of St Anne teaching the Virgin. These pieces were reset into plain glass in 1930.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 143
Morning Attendance: 46
Afternoon Attendance: 52
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.