John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
High on the East cliff overlooking the harbour is a remarkable group of school and church. St Peter's is a shrine of peace and tranquillity and has a real sense of holiness. Built to serve the growing community of the resort, it was originally designed by Richard Hussey in 1862. For the next few years the church became a centre of controversy as its priests tried to introduce ritualistic worship and furnishings. In 1870 the church was extended by the addition of a north aisle and an enlarged chancel to assist ritualism. The day it re opened vestments were introduced. The wonderful blue Rood Screen is made of wrought iron and dates from 1872. It has the image of Christ on its central cross - a symbol that created much controversy when it was erected. In the north aisle are fragments of early glass by Kempe - the rest having been destroyed in a fire in 1996. Nearby is the octagonal font which is fifteenth century and came from one of the Norfolk churches that was demolished due to the incursion of the sea. In a county full of medieval brasses it is interesting to record three small Victorian examples here, to a priest, a sacristan and a nun.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Hussey 1862
Restoration: Stallwood 1870
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.