John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A memorable nineteenth-century church designed in 1868 by Ewan Christian - quite unlike his first ever church at Hildenborough built twenty-five years earlier. Built of ragstone rubble it has an octagonal tower and short spire over the chancel. It was an expensive building costing over £13,000 and paid for entirely by the Earl of Radnor, who was busily turning Folkestone from a fishing harbour into a holiday resort. The interior is of brick with Bath stone dressings and has a barrel vaulted wooden ceiling. There is an excellent wrought-iron screen between nave and chancel surmounted by bronze angels. The eastern apse has a series of lancets filled with good quality glass. The reredos beneath dates from 1889 and shows Christ in Glory. It is one of the largest pieces of Victorian work in the county. At the other end of the church stands the font - a whopping piece which incorporates many types of English and foreign marble. There is a carved cover to match!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Ewan Christian 1868
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.