John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A real oddity - built in 1881 of concrete faced in sandstone, Edwin Hall better known as the architect of Liberty's London store designed St Paul's church. It is a showpiece Victorian church in many ways - a long and light interior full of interest. The baptistery contains fine font paid for by the children of the parish; behind it is an excellent twentieth century window replacing one destroyed in the war. The nave has three Opus Sectile panels of Faith, Hope and Good Shepherd made by Powell's. Dividing nave and chancel is a screen designed by William Lethaby, the famous Arts and Crafts protagonist. He also designed the church's treasure - the reredos. This is carved in Torquay Marble and represents The Adoration of the Magi. A finer example of Lethaby`s work could not be found in Kent, although perhaps its scale (it is wider than the altar) is not quite right!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Hall 1880
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.