John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Not for those wishing to find a medieval church, although there is evidence of an old building here in the form of a Norman window and crownpost roof. It is of interest that the nineteenth-century work carried out first by Hussey (1856) and then by Scott (1870) for the Pemberton Leigh family is in complete contrast to the work commissioned at nearby Kingsdown by the family at the same time (see separate entry). The second phase of work included the wonderful stencilling of the church, recently restored to the designs of G.G. Scott Jr. The majority of the furnishings are also Victorian and show the quality that only a fortune could buy in post-industrialised England.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 200
Morning Attendance: 81
Afternoon Attendance: 112
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: R C Hussey 1856
Second Restoration: Scott 1870
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.