John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
An endearing and much loved Victorian church on the edge of the village. Built in 1881 to replace a medieval church on the other side of the road it is constructed of local flint and reached by a traditional lych-gate built in 2004. The church consists of nave and chancel with north and south aisles and a church room built parallel to the north aisle in 1992. Memorials from the old church were saved, including a fine 18th century one on the west wall. The font, too, came from the old church although it is only thirty years older than the present church. A fine memorial brass of Mr and Mrs William Pettley together with one of 1444 has been preserved on the wall. There is an excellent selection of stained glass in the church. The south aisle has a set of three colourful 1950s windows whilst the chancel contains an exceptionally good Kempe window of The Annunciation. The north aisle has a Burne Jones window which was unfortunately compromised by having the church room built outside it.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: 151
Afternoon Attendance: 149
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: W.M. Teulon 1880
Second Restoration: 1897
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.