John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: 1930s photograph
A late medieval ragstone church on an exposed hilltop. The square-headed clerestory windows let in large amounts of light on to the thirteenth-century arcade. The font is also thirteenth century in date and there are faint traces of wall paintings. The chancel arch shows a very clear cut away base to take the Rood screen. There are some medieval glass fragments in the north chapel but most windows contain clear glass. A reordering of 1984 has created an atmosphere for modern worship - quite different to the appearance of the building in 1399 when William Groby, the then rector, died. His half length memorial brass mounted on the wall was apparently discovered on a pile of rubbish during nineteenth-century rebuilding work! This may have been the repairs carried out in 1852 which is recorded on a board high up on the west wall of the chancel. Outside all the details are much weathered and the whole building has had to be substantially repaired following storm damage. The west tower is really an eighteenth-century structure with lots of brick patching and buttressing. The only single part of the medieval building not to have suffered much rebuilding is the south porch of fifteenth-century date, with an ornate image niche over the doorway.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 180
Morning Attendance: 55
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.