John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A memorable church of ragstone built in 1844 to the3 designs of a young Ewan Christian - later architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It was built to serve an outlying portion of the parishes of Tonbridge and Leigh and cost £2,300. It consists of a wide nave, shallow transepts and apsidal chancel - perfect for the pre-Tractarian form of worship of which Hildenborough was one of the final examples. The roof structure at the junction of the transepts is remarkable and heavily over-structured, whilst the character of the building is really formed by the stained glass. There are two windows by Morris and Co, 8 by Powell of Whitefriars, whilst the west window is by Herbert Bryans in the style of Kempe. In 1994 the Kent artists Keith and Judy Hill made a window for the north transept depicting the Four Evangelists, the Holy Spirit and the propagation of the Word.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 600
Morning Attendance: 221
Afternoon Attendance: 158
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Ewan Christian, 1843
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.