John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: 1920s photograph: Private Collection
An architecturally interesting church despite poor quality nineteenth-century restorations. The tower is Norman with a fourteenth-century top and spire - with very clear pilaster buttresses and a round-headed window in its lower levels. The nave and aisle are thirteenth century in date with the usual round piers. In the chancel is a good example of a fifteenth-century sedilia, the three seats having two columns of polished Bethersden marble separating them. At either end of the hood mould are little monks' heads - possibly referring to the patronage of the church belonging to St Andrew's Priory, Rochester. There is also a good piscina incorporated into the composition. Unfortunately the nineteenth-century reredos, of seven much cusped and pinnacled panels, detracts from the medieval work and cuts across the base of the Perpendicular east window. The church was often used as a navigational aid by ships in the Medway and many monuments and memorials in church and churchyard are connected to seafarers or those who lost their lives at sea.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 300
Morning Attendance: 165
Afternoon Attendance: 134
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.