John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
This church is one of the most important Gothic Revival churches in the country. The massive stone and marble gateway leads into the churchyard which contains many memorials to the Beresford Hope family, who paid for this fine building. The impressive interior is full of interesting Victorian furnishings, including a wall pulpit based on the thirteenth-century example that survives at Beaulieu in Hampshire. The stained glass is mostly of German design and much richer than one normally finds in this part of England. Many famous designers were associated with Kilndown, including Salvin, Carpenter and Butterfield, and these early tentative steps towards a fully ecclesiological interior are especially instructive.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 400
Morning Attendance: 175
Afternoon Attendance: 285
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Anthony Salvin 1839
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.