John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A masterpiece of mid Victorian design by one of the great architects, William Butterfield. It was built for the younger brother of one of the Tractarian leaders, Edward Pusey and replaced a medieval church of identical size and similar shape. Originally Butterfield filled his church with glass by Hardman, but only the west window and some tracery lights survived the war. Two other windows are by Powell and date from the early 20th century. By the same firm are the stencilled decoration to the chancel roof and the gilding of the altar rails. Butterfield`s benches and pulpit survive showing the muscularity of his work (see also Milstead). His alabaster enclosed east end and jazzy floor tiles complete the ensemble. Not normally visible is a thirteenth century piscina and three eighteenth century tablets saved from the old church and now built into the vestry. In the churchyard the Pusey graves are Celtic crosses with lovely inset marble bullís eyes. Well worth seeking out.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: William Butterfield 1853
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.