John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
This church appears in books for the wealth of stained glass by Burne Jones that it contains. However there is much more to the church than that and it is certainly not a run-of-the-mill nineteenth century building. Designed by George Gilbert Scott, the Foundation Stone was laid in 1863 of a building which was a simple two-cell church. This grew by the addition of a north aisle in 1888 and a south aisle in 1901. A new vestry was built in 1911 and a new church room is currently (2006) under construction. As the church grew its furnishings - from the porch to stained glass windows and font - were moved about making it quite difficult to appreciate the church in its original form. The interior is dominated by the huge 5 light east window (Tree of Jesse) by C E Kempe and Co. Beneath it is the fine reredos of alabaster by Farmer and Brindley with Opus Sectile work by Powell's - not surprising because the Powell family of Speldhurst were connected to the famous firm which also of course led them to Burne Jones. Powell`s also supplied some of the other windows in the church.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: GG Scott 1862
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.