John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
The tall tower, which is such a feature of the village, dates only from the nineteenth century. Once inside we can immediately see that the church is much altered from its fourteenth-century origins. The westernmost windows of the nave are of clear glass which allows us to appreciate the coloured pillar on the north wall which has lost its original aisle, due to a fire in the late fifteenth century. Looking eastwards the illusion is of a much longer building, for the narrow chancel arch takes the eye to a very narrow east window. The best stained glass is that in the south aisle which shows the agricultural year of sowing, ploughing and reaping. At the back of the church is a series of old prints which show the church at various stages over the past two hundred years.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 462
Morning Attendance: 259
Afternoon Attendance: 141
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1860 Bailey
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.