John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Edwardian Postcard
In the churchyard, west of the present building, are the foundations of the seventh-century church founded by St Ethelburga, daughter of King Ethelbert and Queen Bertha (see Canterbury). The present church is also Saxon and stands north of the original building so that the old north wall is now the south wall of today's church. When the church was founded there was no village, which explains why the present village stands a little removed from this restricted plateau site. The first thing the visitor sees is an enormous flying buttress holding up the south-east corner of the church - the pathway actually runs beneath it! The north aisle was added in the fifteenth century and is separated from the nave by a three-bay arcade with most unusual piers. The chancel arch is also out of the ordinary and is probably the result of fifteenth-century rebuilding of the Saxon original. A great deal of nineteenth-century work survives, including a good east window and reredos, but none of this detracts from the antiquity and atmosphere of this interesting building.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 250
Morning Attendance: 55
Afternoon Attendance: 105
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.