John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
An expensive church built to the designs of David Brandon for an aristocratic family who still care for the church and act as its patrons today. In essence it is a simple building of nave, apsidal chancel and north tower with broach spire - but that is ignoring the skill of the designer and furnisher and the care lavished on it for over a hundred years. The focus of the church has always been the chancel with its rich apse and elaborate alabaster reredos showing the symbols of the passion. The painting of the ceiling which contrasts well with the rough-hewn and untreated walls further embellished this part of the church in 1958. In the north transept cum organ chamber is a fine statue of Our Lady and Child in the manner of Martin Travers whilst the nave walls have a very good collection of mural monuments with exceptional lettering, set off by the clear glass which makes it an exceptionally light building.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: David Brandon 1852
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.