John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A most satisfying church in a delightful setting. Originally Norman with plenty of stonework surviving, it was extended in the thirteenth century by the lengthening of the chancel and by the addition of north and south chapels that only run half the length of the chancel. A fifteenth century tower completes the ensemble. There followed years of decline and the chapels became ruinous until two restorations in the nineteenth century. The first was carried out by a local builder, but the second – in 1872- was by the renowned architect William Butterfield who created the character of the church as we see it today. He rebuilt the chapels and chancel windows. The nave windows he beautified by what are known as `Butterfield dumplings` created by cutting away the plaster like a pie crust to show the stonework underneath. Several of his contemporaries did similar things but here he carried it off to great effect. All the stalls and altar rails are his too – and of extremely high craftsmanship. The north chancel window is by Alexander Gibbs to Butterfield`s design. However the east window is a rarity. This is a Butterfield design to be made by the firm of Burlisson and Grylls – the only time it is thought they made a window to his design. A more typical window by the same firm is in the west wall of the church.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 208
Morning Attendance: 52
Afternoon Attendance: 115
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: William Butterfield 1872
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.