John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
An absolute charmer – built of flint with only the adjacent Court for company. It is a simple two cell Norman church of flint but one which, despite Clarke’s ambitious rebuilding in the nineteenth century, has much to offer. Low in the south wall, now part of the French drain, is a medieval mass dial! It is in the infill of the original south door. The medieval tower was demolished by Clarke and the west door reopened into a nave with straightforward crown post roof. The glass is a real mixture, the south western window depicting St George having a really androgynous figure! The ledger slabs from the church were all moved to the vestry and include a rare inscription to someone who was drowned whilst racing the rapids through the old London Bridge. The chancel contains a good example of funeral armour. This church is well worth a drive to seek out.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 30
Morning Attendance: No service
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.