John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Edwardian Postcard
A church of great charm that is smaller than it once was. Clearly visible outside in the north wall is a series of five blocked arches that formerly led into an aisle. The church is basically twelfth century, much remodelled a hundred years later. An unusual Norman piscina in the south-east corner is very low in the wall and shows the drastic raising of the floor that took place in the restoration of 1860. There are some good hanging wall monuments and accompanying hatchment, and a fine medieval brass to a priest. The Jacobean pulpit has an hourglass stand for the preacher to time his sermon.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 200
Morning Attendance: 52
Afternoon Attendance: 57
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.