John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
This is a very wide church and relatively short, the walls being entirely rendered and a sombre grey in colour. From the roof hang a dozen brass chandeliers which almost create an impression of a warm country kitchen. At the west end above the tower door hang many hatchments, from a distance almost looking like a chessboard in their regularity The pews are unusual too, for although they are of normal proportions they each have a little closing door. Through the wide chancel arch the east window shows some small seventeenth-century glass panels, rather unhappily set together, while below it is an well-carved tomb constructed as an Easter Sepulchre. What a pity we do not know whose tomb it is, especially as it is of relatively late date.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 200
Morning Attendance: 191
Afternoon Attendance: 174
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1863 G E Street
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.