John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
Although there is no record of a medieval church here, the present building which dates from 1649 may stand on an early site. It is unusual to find a church of the Commonwealth period and for this reason it is not dedicated to a particular saint. Although the basic hall church remains much rebuilding took place in the nineteenth century, giving the building a strangely urban feel. This is not helped by the fact that it is constructed of regular ragstone blocks which are galletted. The interior is now much lighter than the Victorians left it as war damage has removed most of the stained glass. The main feature of the interior is the hammerbeam roof, painted blue and more practical than decorative, and there is also some foreign wood carving incorporated in the reredos and pulpit.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 305
Morning Attendance: 196
Afternoon Attendance: 246
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: medieval
Restoration: 1894 Pearsall
Second Restoration: 1894
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.