John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A very pretty church of thirteenth- and fourteenth-century date. At the east end of the south aisle is the Dering chapel built in 1475 and separated from the church by two delightful screens - one contemporary with its construction, the other, nicely gilded, of 1635. There is an excellent crownpost roof in the nave and two modern stained glass windows. The east window represents Our Lord and the north window the Annunciation. They were designed by Francis Stephens and John Hayward in 1954. There is much emphasis in them on local objects, with oast houses and even Pluckley church clearly visible. In the nave are some brasses to members of the Dering family - all made in the 1630s by Sir Edward Dering in order to show his family ancestry! They bear dates from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries and could easily mislead those without specialist knowledge.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 300
Morning Attendance: 188
Afternoon Attendance: 332
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.