John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Standing on high ground in a manicured churchyard, St Nicholas is full of interest. Its 17th century tower is a pleasing mixture of flint and stone and is capped with a jaunty cupola - quite an East Kent feature (see also Sandwich St Peter and Woodnesborough). The interior is an odd shape as the tower fills the west end of the nave and the 14th century north aisle runs along its north face - not odd when ones thinks of the chronology but definitely odd to the casual visitor. The nave is dominated by the rather crude three bay arcade to the north aisle dating from the 14th century, whilst the chancel is crammed with tablets to 18th and 19th century residents, particularly the Monins family who are still Patrons of the living. On, of 1806, is signed `Bacon Junior`. Two of the north chancel windows retain their original stonework. Opposite is a simple double sedilia whose arches are dissimilar - that to the east having a nicely shouldered arch whilst its companion is severely plain. There is some fine stained glass (although the best representation of St Nicholas with the boys in the tub is under the tower and difficult to see). A more modern representation of the Patron Saint is in the north aisle accompanied by St Francis, whilst nearby are the rarely portrayed Lois, Eunice and Dorcas. The stonework of this window is Victorian and tries to make a statement although, in reality it cuts out the central light. All in all a most pleasant and welcoming church.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 270
Morning Attendance: 102
Afternoon Attendance: 156
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.