John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A large sturdy tower overlooks the valley dividing Kent and Sussex some distance from its village. It dates, as does much of the church, from the fourteenth century. The arcades are of dumpy octagonal pillars which have lancet clerestory windows set into the walls above. There are some notable fragments of medieval glass in the south aisle, together with an excellent twentieth century etched glass window. The tower is flanked by the aisles (see also Wickhambreux). The north aisle displays the original entrance to the rood loft staircase. At the west end is a nice octagonal sandstone font with a series of decorated window designs enlivening its panelled sides.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: 205
Afternoon Attendance: 325
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Carpenter 1875
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.