John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Sir Paul Britton
In a quiet residential road, St Luke’s is an unassuming exterior which leads into a warm and rather impressive interior. The round piers and tall east end with north and south aisles and chapels are unexpected. On the north wall is a fine old master painting of the Crucifixion, whilst the east window is a rather startling use of the same image by J Egan of 1913. Apparently the chancel was to have had wall paintings but only the cartoons were produced and are now affixed to the walls. Their grisaille effect is outstanding and they look as though they were designed to remain that way! The padded benches make this the most comfortable of churches and it is accessible weekday mornings.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Lee 1903
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2020.