John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A plain 1820s preaching box, reputedly built as a thanksgiving for victory at Waterloo, this was enlarged by the addition of a chancel by Sir Thomas Jackson. The ribbed ceiling of the 1820s box is unmistakable, and a few of the original benches survive. The chancel was once a glorious affair with Gambier Parry reredos and his own type of stencilled walls – on oilcloth – but regrettably most of these have now been removed. The east window was also designed by Parry and is rather fine. Dotted around the walls are plaster models that must once have formed a larger object – but just how it all worked is beyond comprehension!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 300
Morning Attendance: 168
Afternoon Attendance: 199
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: 1820
Restoration: 1872 Sir T Jackson
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.