John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A (just) pre-ecclesiological church dating from 1838 to replace a small late-medieval place of worship known as `Milkhouse Street Chapel` in the parish of Cranbrook that had closed in the sixteenth century. Its nineteenth century founders were more or less told where to erect the new church. The architect was J Jennings of Hawkhurst and the church cost about £2,000. It was a simple rectangle for auditory worship. In 1893 a chancel was added to make it more acceptable to the ecclesiologists. In the 1990s further alterations were made to create a friendly and more convenient church. By the chancel steps is a medieval carved font reputed to have come from the old chapel, but by far the best furnishings are the stained glass windows. The 3 light East window is by Horace Wilkinson and depicts Archangels Michael and Gabriel. In the north wall is a pedestrian window depicting St Nicholas (1947) by J E Nuttgens - it being overshadowed in terms of dramatic effect by the easternmost window. This depicts St Cecilia, and is designed with lots of purple streaky glass by Leonard Walker (1877-1964).
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: No return
Afternoon Attendance: No return
Evening Attendance: No return
Original Build Date/Architect: Jennings 1837
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.