John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A large interesting church totally built in the fourteenth century of a flint and stone rubble mixture. The arcades of both north and south aisles are of the standard octagonal pattern. The font is very boldly carved on each of its faces; particularly interesting is the representation of a chalice with the wafer appearing as a sunburst. The five-light east window of 1854 is by O'Connor. In the south aisle is the table tomb of John Sedley (d. 1520) while his great-grandson John (d. 1603) is commemorated by a large standing wall monument. The chancel has a three-seater sedilia and some medieval stalls with simple misericords.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 400
Morning Attendance: 201
Afternoon Attendance: 115
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.