John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Edwardian Postcard
The outstanding feature of this solid Victorian church, built by John Oldrid Scott in 1871, is the series of windows by the firm of Morris and Co. The east window of the north aisle represents some early saints including Alban and Aidan, while that in the west end shows six angels. Nearby is an early representation of Kentish saints, whose popularity was increasing in the middle of the nineteenth century, including Augustine, Ethelbert and Bertha. The east window is by the same firm, but dates from after the death of Burne-Jones and is not so finely executed. The oak reredos was added by Charles Oldrid Scott in 1925, who also worked on the altar rails and low chancel screen. In the churchyard there is a good monument made of Coade artificial stone in 1807.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 459
Morning Attendance: 338
Afternoon Attendance: 287
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: 1870 J O Scott
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.