John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
The greater part of this pretty church is fourteenth century, although some of the walling of the tower is probably Saxon. The font is fifteenth century and has good relief carving of the Four Evangelists supported by a variety of wild men of the woods! The chancel displays a low side window of rare lancet design (there is a mass dial outside). The church tower has a one-handed clock with a dial showing a IV instead of the more usual IIII. The church was restored by George Edmund Street in 1868 and it was he who created the pervading atmosphere noticeable today.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 216
Morning Attendance: 102
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: G E Street 1868
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2020.