John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
The tall medieval flint-banded tower of St Nicholas still dominates the bustling town centre but the body of the church is a big surprise! It is a Georgian ragstone box designed by Sir Robert Smirke in 1812. In its form it presents an austere exterior but inside all is light and space. The round headed windows with a form of plate tracery are quite attractive and contain good nineteenth century glass. The church was reordered in the 1980s to fit halls at the west end but it hasnít destroyed the appearance of the church at all. There are some very fine mural tablets, mostly to solicitors from Rochester, but one small tablet commemorates a young man who died on the expedition to find David Livingstone. Over the chancel arch and chancel vault is a fine mural which gives that part of the church a High Victorian feel.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 750
Morning Attendance: 417
Afternoon Attendance: 274
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Sydney Smirke 1812
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.