Ss Peter And Paul, Temple Ewell Church

Image Source: John Salmon

 

In a strange position, oddly isolated from the main road and pretty valley below. The church is a severe structure of Norman origin, over-restored in 1870 by Talbot Bury, whose work in Bath stone can only be described as unfortunate. The east window is by Martin Travers - Comper's pupil - but is not a good example of his work. However, the church contains fine good examples of Swiss glass comparable to the windows at Patrixbourne. Probably the best is the Flight into Egypt. One only wishes for more splashes of colour to enliven this otherwise plain church.

 

 

Church Data

 

1851 Census Details

 

Seating Capacity: 225

Morning Attendance: 99

Afternoon Attendance: 112

Evening Attendance: No service

 

Architecture Details

 

Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval

Restoration: Talbot Bury 1874

Second Restoration: -

 

Contact Details

 

Queries Relating to this Church

 

To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You