John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Set in a farmyard, this church draws thousands of visitors to see the only complete set of stained glass by Marc Chagall in England. The earliest glass is that in the east window which was installed as a memorial to Sarah d'Avigdor Goldsmid in 1967. She died in a sailing accident and is shown floating in the waves. After its erection a complete set of glass was designed and made for the church, although it was not fully installed in the church until after Chagall's death. The Victorian glass which had to be removed to accommodate it has been placed in light boxes below the tower, which is entered below the impressive organ built in 1994. The whole church is light and open, with high quality workmanship in ceiling, pews and floor. It is an example to all that twentieth-century workmanship - providing it is of good quality - has often improved a medieval building.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 304
Morning Attendance: No service
Afternoon Attendance: 274
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1874 Medley Fulford
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.