John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Saxo-Norman, with a good early double-splayed window on the south face of the tower. The church is small, dark and welcoming, dating in the greater part from the fourteenth century. The north chapel contains the private pew of the Geary family. When the burial vault beneath became full the floor of the pew was raised by 8 ft to provide more burial space, creating a solid-floored galleried pew! It is panelled and benched and appears to be of expensive construction although closer inspection reveals that it is made of cheap wood grained and painted to look like oak! On the ceiling of the pew is a good collection of hatchments, and the top of the earlier monuments, lost when the floor was raised, may still be seen. Behind the altar is a series of continental wooden statues representing the Twelve Apostles which were a twentieth century gift from Mereworth Castle. The chancel screen is also twentieth century in date, and although it is a good example of craftsmanship it is patently the wrong size - its loft is far too high for the medieval door opening that still survives in the north wall!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 250
Morning Attendance: 160
Afternoon Attendance: 90
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.