John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A very pretty church with a short spire. It was so rebuilt by Christian in the nineteenth century and Marchant in the early twentieth century, that it lacks historical character, but not interest. The base of the tower is undoubtedly Saxon and shows two double splayed windows that had been lost by infilling before being rediscovered during the 1879 restoration. The large tub font is also probably Saxon, but has been smoothed over, having been used as a seat in the churchyard in the nineteenth century! The pulpit is of carved wood and is dated 1655 - a rare item as it is of the Commonwealth period when few furnishings were added to churches. Its little pilaster buttresses that form each side of every panel taper very quickly and are pleasing to the eye. The piscina in the chancel was originally a holy water stoup and was discovered by Christian and adapted for its new use. The excellent wooden screen, with its Arts and Crafts detailing, was designed by Marchant and erected in 1920. The Royal Arms are those of George II. In the churchyard, by the doorway, is the tomb of Sir Edward Hulse (d. 1759), one of only three in England to have been designed by a Danish sculptor, Lawrence Anderson Holme, who came to England in 1762. His other two monuments are both at Axbridge in Somerset.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 345
Morning Attendance: 180
Afternoon Attendance: 151
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1839 Frederick East
Second Restoration: 1884 Christian
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2020.